Flights of Fantasy

The Classic books that burn our souls Are nothing more than words. Yet when we read our hearts will cry To share the flight of birds.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I love reading. I love watching funny movies. Its sad, but that sums up a lot. But I quite enjoy it. :P

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Golem in the Gears, by Piers Anthony

Grundy the Golem has a few problems. 1. He’s small. 2. He’s got a loud mouth. 3. He’s insecure. 4. He’s small. And Xanth just doesn’t make females in his size. But when Grundy discovers Sorceress Ivy trying to teach her young brother Dolph how to fly in order to find Stanly Steamer, he decides it is time to go consult the Good Magician. Typically, the Good Magician gives a nonsensical answer that seems to have nothing to do with the question asked, ‘Ride the monster under the bed to the Ivory tower.’ I mean, what kind of answer is that to the question, ‘where is Stanley?’ But Grundy decides to try the advice and so sets off on a quest. For such a little man, crossing all of Xanth is no picnic, especially when he opens his big mouth.

Here is another Xanth book that deals with the meaning of true love. What is it, how do you find it, and is it worth it. Usually the answer to the last question is yes. Grundy falls in love with Rapunzel who was stuck in the Ivory tower, but he knows that she will never be able to love him back. It’s great to see things from Grundy’s view, because before all we’ve ever seen/heard of him is his big mouth: which isn’t exactly great for forming deep characterizations. He really is a small man, with a man’s feelings and ideas. His mouth just doesn’t let most of that through. But when we’re in his head, we see it all.

You know, it gets hard to make astute observations for books such as these. I mean, they’re great fun and all, but I feel like the quality of my reviews have gone downhill a little. I’m not discussing intriguing aspects or great characterizations, because it’s hard to do that for fluff. I hope you’ll forgive me for this long segue from ‘serious’ reviewing. I’ll try to keep on top of things hereafter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home