Flights of Fantasy

The Classic books that burn our souls Are nothing more than words. Yet when we read our hearts will cry To share the flight of birds.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I love reading. I love watching funny movies. Its sad, but that sums up a lot. But I quite enjoy it. :P

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Lioness Rampant, by Tamora Pierce

Alanna is off on a quest. But she is not on just any old sort of quest; she is on a quest for the Dominion Jewel. Stories abound about the fabled Jewel: how it can make or break a country, build up tyrants, form peaceful nations, and serve a sorcerer in incredible ways. For the glory of Tortall Alanna seeks this Jewel, as well as to prove to everyone that she won her knighthood justly and fairly. Her path takes her through war-torn Sarain to the Roof of the World. For companions she has Coram, Liam Ironarm the Shang Dragon, Princess Thayet of Sarain, and Thayet’s companion Buri. They travel into legend as they hope to gain this wondrous Jewel. Alanna hopes to gain it quickly, for she senses that there is trouble back in Tortall, and the Jewel could save them all. What she does not know is that her old enemy, Duke Roger is alive, for why should she believe in dreams? Or nightmares.

I have to say right off that this is a much better book than most of the series. It is also slightly longer but I don’t know if that makes all that much of a difference. The plot is better and more relevant to the overall story. Many varied ideas are brought together, and many plotlines are wrapped up. Unfortunately—in my point of view—Alanna keeps making silly choices about things. Namely, the Shang Dragon. What is it with her and sleeping with so many men? I mean, does she feel the need to make up for time lost when she was pretending to be a boy? It really makes no sense because even at the beginning of their relationship they admit to each other that it probably won’t work out. I know, I know, not everyone is coldly sensible like me, but this just screams idiocy to me. She left George on good terms so I don’t see why she is so eager to jump into bed with some other guy. I just don’t get it.

Aside from that minor bothering point, this is the most exciting book in the Lioness series. The climax is truly climactic, and always has me on the edge of my seat no matter how many times I’ve read it. It is just so exciting that I really can’t reveal anything about it except to say that it is sad and wonderful. Also, since this is the last book of the quartet, I feel given over to some reflective thoughts on how the series has developed. There is a definite change in Alanna that is hard to describe, but from the first book to this one her character feels different. I would almost label it as maturity but that wouldn’t quite cover it. She’s got just as much of a temper but she feels older and harder. The change from child to adult was well made, because there is so much of a difference. I give kudos to Pierce for developing this well, for it can be the hardest task of an author to allow their characters to develop and change.

I seem to be writing a slightly longer review than normal, but wrapping up a series always takes a bit more time. I must applaud Pierce for her originality in writing this series, while at the same time wishing her writing skills had been better developed. The Lioness quartet has the possibility to disappoint readers as much as thrill them with ingenuity. It depends on who you are, and what you look for in a book. Over all, I do say that I like to reread this series, no matter what faults I find in it. I like to stick with what interests me, and this certainly does that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home