Flights of Fantasy

The Classic books that burn our souls Are nothing more than words. Yet when we read our hearts will cry To share the flight of birds.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I love reading. I love watching funny movies. Its sad, but that sums up a lot. But I quite enjoy it. :P

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Magician’s Gambit, By David Eddings

Having left treacherous Nyissa a little the worse for wear, the company must now leave the trail of the Orb and make all speed to the Vale. The god Aldur has called them so they must obey, but the Orb has also switched hands and will be staying in one place until they can come to claim it. Belgarion continues discovering the extent of his newfound powers, making both great advances and great mistakes. After receiving instructions in the Vale, the company must travel to Rak Cthol to regain the Orb once and for all in a tumultuous battle between Ctuchik and Belgarath.

Finally we stop this running here and there to regain the Orb from the evil men. I am so glad that Eddings stopped the chase before it could further pall on the readers. As it is, it stopped in the nick of time. Two to three books I can take. After three it gets ridiculous.

Ce’Nedra really isn’t my favorite character. I’ve never liked spoiled self-centered people in real life: there is no reason why I should start to like them in books. I just have never found those character traits very endearing, and I don’t know why others would. She’s improved a bit since the last book, but arrogance is a thing I cannot stand for prolonged time. I just get the overwhelming urge to smack her.

Now Relg is quite a character. What an odd person! I just keep trying to envision him with his almost deformedly bulky shoulders, short stature, pale face, and scarves around his head. And his insane need to pray every hour with much beating of the ground and his body. It reminds me of the Old Testament, where there are lists and lists of sins, but no mercy offered except in strict terms. Relg needs to get to the New Testament where he would discover that gods forgive and not everything need be punished with death. But that’s just how I see it.

I feel bad just repeating everything I’ve said before about plot, characters, humor, and good writing, but really—it stays mostly the same. The quality doesn’t dip or fall, the first book is just as entertaining as the third, and I find myself laughing just as much as I did before, even though this is not my first read through. I grow to love the characters and their disparate personalities and that is what makes the books truly enjoyable to read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home