Flights of Fantasy

The Classic books that burn our souls Are nothing more than words. Yet when we read our hearts will cry To share the flight of birds.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I love reading. I love watching funny movies. Its sad, but that sums up a lot. But I quite enjoy it. :P

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Master of the Five Magics, By Lyndon Hardy

I find it very shocking that no one has ever pointed this book out to me before. The only reason I ever read it was because I was looking through my Dad’s capacious book pile and it looked interesting enough to read. So I have and I am shocked that I haven’t heard about it anywhere else. It’s an interesting read, making use of many classic ideas but in many different ways: my favorite.

Alodar is a journeyman Thaumaturge, trapped in the castle of Iron Fist. The castle is under siege by the Baron Bandor who rebelled against the Queen Vandora, the fairest lady in the land. All in the castle try to outdo themselves in acts of intelligence and bravery to win her hand, and no less does Alodar. But although she is beautiful beyond belief, Alodar wishes for her hand only to regain his family name and honor, and to be recognized for his full worth. As only a journeyman in his looked-down-upon craft, his dream seems impossible. But using his small knowledge he enables the Queen to escape from Iron Fist as it is overrun, but another man gains the credit for it, as well as the reward of being named her suitor. Alodar is despondent, but hopes anew to raise his chances for her hand. His search will lead him through the five disciplines of magic (thaumaturgy, alchemy, magic, sorcery, and wizardry), and each time he almost succeeds another man takes his place. But Alodar will not give up, for he has the heart and will that is unmatched by any man alive, and he will succeed where others fail.

I find it very sad that no one has ever heard of this book. It’s well written, the characters are great, and I can see the world take shape around me as I read. Alodar is such a great character: he is truly stubborn even in the face of defeat. Few men are like him in real life, but he is very believable. He’s got a bit of an ego, and every time someone does not recognize his worth it just spurs him on to greater deeds. But that is so real. Alodar also shows some growth by the end of the book: at the beginning he’s so touchy and angry. By the end he’s learned a bit of steadiness and patience and how to bide his time.

But the book isn’t perfect. Sometimes Alodar makes a leap in judgment or emotion, and you’re left wondering where that came from. Hardy does this once in a while, and I wish he could have corrected that. There’s also some gaps in the story that I wish were filled, but that’s just me as the greedy reader speaking. I would have loved to see a bit more training with Cedric the warmaster, but that’s probably because I love to see people learning how to fight. It happens often enough in fantasy books, but I don’t really tire of it. But really, more people need to read this book. They’ll be in for a good time in a great world. The divisions in magic are really great, harking back to antiquity when people believed in alchemy etc. A world where all of it is true and where it never fell into disuse. I don’t quite know where you’ll find it, you can check your libraries, but I really advise that you do. I give good marks to Master of the Five Magics.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lyndon Hardy wrote two more in the series which expand on the concepts of magic laid out in the original. If you enjoyed this one, you'll probably like those as well - I certainly did. If the logical structure of magic appeals check out the Recluse Saga. The Magic Of Recluse is the first book in that series.

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home