Flights of Fantasy

The Classic books that burn our souls Are nothing more than words. Yet when we read our hearts will cry To share the flight of birds.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I love reading. I love watching funny movies. Its sad, but that sums up a lot. But I quite enjoy it. :P

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Exile's Valor, by Mercedes Lackey

Exile’s Valor is the sequel to Exile’s Honor, and continues the story of Alberich Herald of Valdemar. The book opens not long after Exile’s Honor concluded. Selenay is torn apart from the loss of her father, and beset by nobles who are forcing her to marry. But after Selenay manages to evade her nobles’ attempts to marry her off, she finds herself falling in love with the handsome Prince Kerathenalen of Rethwellan. Meanwhile, Alberich is finding hints in the lower city that someone does not want Selenay on the throne, and is trying (unsuccessfully) to forment discontent. When an accident in the salle leads him into further mysteries, Alberich believes that all of these events are related, but his evidence is slim and Selenay is in love for the first time in her life. He is forced to play a waiting game, and hopes he can discover all he needs to know before time runs out.

Okay, okay. A very dramatic description I know. ‘Before time runs out’ is an overused phrase when describing books, but in this case it is accurate. But unlike as it is described above, Alberich is not entirely alone in his assumptions: he is supported by the Queen’s Own Herald Talamir, and Herald Chronicler Myste. While we were introduced to Alberich’s nightly spying job in Exile’s Honor, Exile’s Valor fleshes it out and makes it quite interesting. This book is full of complications, intricate plots, fascinating developments, and really good writing.

Exile’s Valor is a better written story than its predecessor. Maybe it’s just because we know the characters and want to find out what is going on, but I found myself sucked into the story a lot faster than in Exile’s Honor. It held my attention a lot better, and I like it a lot better. I loved to read about the Ice Festival, and the start of the mad sport Hurlee. Lackey comes up with new ideas to delight your mind, and this sequel novel is a definite success in my eyes.

Again, this book is around the same level as the previous: not for young children, but more in the range of young adult to adult. Sex is a bigger thing in this book than the last, and certain parts are more explicit. Just be aware.

If I could ask Mercedes Lackey one question about this book, it would be: When did you first know that Alberich and Myste should get together?


Editor’s Eye:

There is one thing wrong in my edition at least: in the beginning of the book Adain(a bardic trainee) and Mical(a Heraldic trainee) broke a mirror in the salle. When they first go down to the city, Adain is described as riding a Companion, and Mical a sorrel gelding. Clearly it’s some sort of error, because later on Mical is definitely riding a Companion. I’ve skimmed past this before, but it caught my eye this time, and confused me, because I knew that Mical was a Heraldic trainee. I don’t know if the error came in the printing, or before. Anyone else notice this?


Reader’s View:

Who can not love Alberich and Myste together? I think they are sooo much fun. Definitely a good move to write that in. I love Myste as a character, because sometime I feel that if I ever had a chance to be a Herald, I’d be more like Myste than Alberich. Hurlee is definitely a mix between hockey and polo. A very amusing mix.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home