Flights of Fantasy

The Classic books that burn our souls Are nothing more than words. Yet when we read our hearts will cry To share the flight of birds.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I love reading. I love watching funny movies. Its sad, but that sums up a lot. But I quite enjoy it. :P

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Searching for Dragons, by Patricia C. Wrede

Mendanbar is the King of the Enchanted forest. Since he’s the king of a magical land, he needs all the magic and wits he can muster to face the challenges that come his way. Recently, it appears that dragons from the Mountains of Morning have been burning patches of the forest. Taking advice from the witch Morwen, Mendanbar straps on his magic sword and goes to visit King Kazul of the Dragons to find out what is going on. But when he reaches her cave, the only one there is Princess Cimorene (or more accurately, Kazul’s Chief Cook and Librarian). Cimorene reveals to Mendanbar that Kazul has gone missing, and that she intends to try to find her. Mendanbar feels he is duty bound to go with Cimorene to protect her, but neither is completely happy about this arrangement. Along the way they’ll have to deal with faulty magic carpets, rock snakes and wizards. Just another typical day for the King of the Enchanted Forest!

In Searching for Dragons the pov is switched from Cimorene to Mendanbar. But since we’ve already seen how her mind works, there is no trouble in simulating her thoughts for ourselves. I wish I could meet these people in real life: they must be so much fun to be around. Clever and brave, funny and smart: hmm, it might get annoying after a while. But it never does in the book: we are taken on one adventure after another, holding on for dear life. The plot twists and squirms, new characters pop up, old ones reappear, and there is a wonderful happy ending. I don’t think I’m spoiling much by telling you that.

Its is a rare occurrence to find a children’s book that has neither shallow nor two-dimensional characters. It is also a delight, which makes reading one such book particularly wonderful. Albeit the characters are simplified: this is a children’s tale. There aren’t as many blurring of the lines between good characters and bad, but in itself that can be refreshing. For those of us who started reading fantasy as children, there is a sort of nostalgic feeling one gets when reading such a story. It makes us feel like children again, full of intent wonder. I appreciate that feeling from time to time, so I especially appreciate books that can evoke that emotion in me. Pick up the Enchanted Forest Quartet and prepare to enjoy yourself.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Bob Allen said...

I am looking for Patricia Colleen Lawhead. My name is Bob Allen and I recently found out I have a sister by that name. I'm having a hard time finding her but maybe, just maybe you are her. I filed with the adoption agency in California where I was adopted and Patricia did the same thing only she filed in the 90's. I filed a couple months ago. Thanks for reading this. Bob Allen.

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home