Flights of Fantasy

The Classic books that burn our souls Are nothing more than words. Yet when we read our hearts will cry To share the flight of birds.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I love reading. I love watching funny movies. Its sad, but that sums up a lot. But I quite enjoy it. :P

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Dragonquest, By Anne McCaffrey

Dragonquest is the second book of the Dragonriders of Pern trilogy. It continues the story of the planet Pern and its perennial fight against Thread. In Dragonflight, Lessa went back in time four hundred years to bring forward the six Weyrs of Pern that disappeared long ago. She now has cause to regret that brave act, as the Oldtimers are having trouble adjusting to all the changes that have occurred in 400 years. They are stirring up the resentment of the Lord Holders, Craftsmen, and commoners alike. Only Benden Weyr is looked upon with favor anymore. But F’lar is not in a position to demand anything of the other Weyrs, although he might wish to. Their narrow-mindedness and parochial attitudes are hurting Pern, and it is Pern F’lar is sworn to protect. The Oldtimers are making that difficult, and soon the task itself seems impossible when Thread starts falling out of pattern. F’lar must once again unite Pern despite the troubles that plague it, for if they do not unite, the planet will be ravaged so severely by Thread no one will survive.

The Oldtimers seemed like the answer to Pern’s problems, but now they’re causing more trouble than they’re worth. I just love how F’lar solves the problems that arise. I mean, I’d like to detail them all but that would spoil it for so many people. Let me just say that it is really cool and fun all the time. Lots of knife fights, the resurgence of fire lizards, and we get to see more of F’nor. F’nor is a wonderful man, and seeing him in love is also similarly wonderful. We meet Brekke, gold rider of Wirenth, who shows a lovely different side to being a rider. There are some truly detestable characters, as well as some very misguided ones. Lord Meron of Nabol (I don’t even want to use his title) and Kylara of Southern Weyr are quite the pair, quite the despicable pair.

It’s funny, I’m writing about the book and I keep remembering neat things that happen, and I’m realizing that so much happens in this book, more so in some ways than Dragonflight. Much more happens, and all of it is exciting with that flavor which is unmistakably McCaffrey. In this strange and unknown world where dragons live and bravery is called for every day, we lose a part of ourselves that is afraid and we long to be just as strong and decisive as these characters we read about. That to me is the mark of a good author: that the book will make me wish to be more than myself, more than ordinary. I won’t call McCaffrey the most talented of writers, but I will say she is quite good at what she does, in crafting interesting worlds and people to populate them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home