Flights of Fantasy

The Classic books that burn our souls Are nothing more than words. Yet when we read our hearts will cry To share the flight of birds.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I love reading. I love watching funny movies. Its sad, but that sums up a lot. But I quite enjoy it. :P

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Dragonsinger, By Anne McCaffrey

Menolly has come much further than she would have imagined when she ran away to live in the fire lizard cave. After trying to outrun threadfall, she was taken to Benden Weyr where Masterharper Robinton discovered that she was Petrion’s lost apprentice and convinced her to return with him to the Harper Hall. It wasn’t very hard for him to convince her, for this was Menolly’s dream. But life at the Hall is very different in some ways than she imagined. Unfortunately, people are the same everywhere you go, and suspicions and jealousy are common emotions. Menolly desperately tries to fit in, but with nine fire lizards, that just isn’t possible. Now she is unsure if she really belongs in the Harper Hall, but there doesn’t seem to be anything else she can do, other than run away again.

Dragonsinger, as you may have noticed, is the second book of the Harper Hall trilogy, and continues the story of Menolly of Half Circle Sea hold. All of her dreams seem to have come true, except for some truly nasty people at the Hall who make life miserable for her. Pona is a piece of work, but she’s also really stupid, and you wonder if a person like her could even exist. Character believability is questioned a bit, but she’s fun to hate. We’ve got some new friends as well, namely Piemur who is really quite engaging and funny. I can see him so clearly in my head, and he’s one of the characters who makes me wish this were a movie that I could watch.

Dragonsinger is a very different book than Dragonsong, but in all the right ways. The Harper Hall is very different than the sea hold or Benden Weyr, so life should be different. Menolly seems to mature quickly, while adapting to her new life. It’s odd, while the book is about her, I don’t know if she is a strong enough character to carry it well. I mean, she’s definitely not McCaffrey’s best, but she isn’t her worst. Menolly is just there, while other characters are There! But all in all it’s a fun book, with the Gather scene definitely the best in the book. So much fun to be had, and so much excitement. The visuals I see when I read are so vivid, that I keep coming back and rereading these books. They’re well worth the read, and much shorter if you don’t have the time for a full length novel.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been a rather long time since I read any of Anne McCaffrey's books, but I enjoyed them a great deal. I remember Dragonsinger being a good one.

(wandered over here via Neth Space)

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home