Flights of Fantasy

The Classic books that burn our souls Are nothing more than words. Yet when we read our hearts will cry To share the flight of birds.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I love reading. I love watching funny movies. Its sad, but that sums up a lot. But I quite enjoy it. :P

Friday, February 16, 2007

Guardians of the West, By David Eddings

Thus proceeds book one of the Mallorean, companion series to the Belgariad. Many years pass after Garion defeats Torak. The boy Errand goes to live with Polgara and Durnik in the Vale. Garion and Ce’Nedra have various marital problems but eventually work them out and they have a son, Geran. But life is not all easy, for there are hints that the prophecy might not be over and done with, and an attempt was made on Ce’Nedra’s life when she was pregnant with Geran. The Bear cult is again becoming a nuisance to the Alorn kingdoms, and will eventually perpetrate a horrendous kidnapping. Garion now finds himself on another quest: but this time he does not quest for the Orb, but for his own son.

Okay, we now get to the parts where a lot of people stop liking Eddings. It’s understandable, really it is. Most people stop liking him when they see that all he does is recycle plotlines. And sadly that is mostly what the Mallorean is: recycled plotline. But since it wasn’t that original a plotline to begin with, I think it should disappoint less people than it does. I do confess, though, that even I have stopped liking his books after the fifth reuse of the same plotline. It does wear on one, after a while. And I have been saying the same plotline, I mean specifically the plotline of brave man on a quest for an object/person on orders from a prophecy in order to save the world. And he’s got lots of friends with him. But really, do we read these books for the overall plot?

Not much seems to happen in Guardians of the West. It’s mostly plot exposition and character development, which is pretty fun. We see what people do with their free time; mostly having children. But Silk is on his way to becoming the richest man in the world (not surprising to many) and is as delightful a character as ever. I am still somewhat indifferent to the character of Ce’Nedra since if I met her in real life I don’t think I’d like her that much. Doesn’t really endear me to characters if I don’t like them. Errand seems to be playing a larger role than might have been expected. Now that he’s grown up and actually can say more words that ‘errand,’ he’s quite likable. Still the oddest little boy I’ve ever seen, but he’s quite cute. And the way he has with Horse…you’ll just have to read it. Seeing Hettar that discomforted is quite amusing. But I won’t spoil it for you. I’ll just wrap up the review saying that I expect to be entertained by the Mallorean, and enjoy every minute of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home